This is a Camping Experience!
Camping/What to Bring
The Alchemy of Womyn Festival is a camping experience. You will have to bring your own accommodations (tent, tent trailer, small RV’s only please) and there are no showers on site. Although we will have some wash basins set up for washing dishes, the festival is located on an eco farm that is serviced by one well. This water is safe to drink but doesn’t taste very good and is high in sodium and sulphur – so okay for cooking and washing dishes, but not best for drinking. We encourage you to bring your own water for drinking and for washing up so that we don’t drain the well.
Make sure you bring all the same stuff you’d bring for any camping adventure, along with anything you need to make this an enjoyable transformational experience. Self-care is of high importance, so bring what you need to take good care of yourself – to eat well, drink lots of water, and to sleep well even though some activities might be going on well into the evening. Although there will be vendors on site for meals and snacks, we highly encourage you to bring healthy food that is good for your body. Things like ear plugs, eye mask, a comfortable sleeping pad or mattress, and cozy layers of sleeping bags and quilts will support you to get the rest that you require. Please see the check list below for other suggestions of things that will support you having an amazing experience.
This is also a drug and drunk free event, please leave alcohol and recreational drugs at home unless they are being used as medicine or for ceremony.
The camping area will be centered around a communal hearth space. Cars will be parked away from festival/community space but you’ll have an opportunity to drop your gear off before parking. The basement of the main house will be available for presenters and organizers to relax throughout the weekend. It has comfy couches and will be stocked with snacks throughout the weekend.
Friday evening, after dinner there will be a SNACK POTLUCK. Please bring something to share here, while we enjoy some delightful performances and commune together. Examples: popcorn, chocolate, iced tea, fruit, etc.
There will be three food trucks with vegan/GF options onsite Friday/Saturday/Sunday. If needed, dry goods can be stored in the relaxation space for organizers and presenters. There is very limited space for refrigeration so please bring a cooler for anything perishable. The community kitchen area will have plenty of tables to use for camp stoves, storage of food, etc. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO MARK ALL OF YOUR DISHES/KITCHEN TOOLS, etc
The festival’s central theme is healing and transformation through deep connection with the earth and elements. Upon arrival, and without looking, each participant will pick an item indicating which element (Earth, Air, Fire, Water) they will be journeying with during the weekend. Each element has a temple space dedicated to it, as well as an elemental mother who supports the community of womyn within that group. Most of our workshops are part of one of four elemental paths that follow an ebb and flow of outward expression, ceremony and introspection. We don’t require womyn attend the workshops on their associated path, but we highly encourage it. We will also be offering two all camp workshops on Saturday/Sunday morning, and two Saturday evening open workshops. We try over very best to keep each path workshop in their respective temples, but because some may choose to attend other workshops, it’s possible we will have to change things last minute to accommodate larger groups. If that need should arise, the transition/move will be overseen by an organizer to ensure everyone knows what’s going on and where to go.
What to Bring
- your printed ticket (you should have received this in an email)
- journal and pen
- yoga mat
- enough drinking water and water for washing up and dishes
- tent & camping supplies: bedding, pillow, extra blankets, tarps, ropes, chairs
- free standing shade structure for your campsite
- food & cooking gear: stove, pots, utensils, dishes, dish soap (eco-friendly please)
- cooler & ice (ice is not available for purchase on site, closest would be a gas station on hwy 21)
- re-usable mug and water bottle
- flashlight or headlamp and extra batteries
- warm clothes, light clothes, extra socks
- towel and bathing suit for sauna (sauna is clothing optional)
- warm coat for night time and a warm hat (Alberta nights can still be cool)
- sunglasses and sun hat
- mosquito spray or lotion and sunscreen
- running shoes, sandals, warmer shoes (something waterproof is recommended)
- rain gear and rubber boots
- eco-friendly soap and toiletries – toothbrush & toothpaste
- baby wipes and toilet paper (you can take a hippy bath with baby wipes if needed)
- lip balm, body lotion
- tylenol / advil and any medications / vitamins / supplements you are taking
- extra contacts / glasses, contact solution
- feminine hygiene products
- garbage bags and recycling bags – leave no trace, pack it in / pack it out
- cell phone – reception is not great unless your with Telus, but you can still take photos with it
- a camera
- first aid kit
- spending money for meals and there will be other vendors on site (Henna, Art, Crafts, Tribal Market)
- ear plugs and eye mask for a good nights sleep
- costumes and make-up that express your Alchemical Goddess Within
- smudge, and sacred items
- items to contribute and add to main altar and elemental altars if you wish
- drums and acoustic instruments for the evening Fire Dance
- container for cigarette butts (if you smoke)
- decorations for your camp
- solar lights for your camp and to light up our pathways